Black bean brownies oh soooo good. Dairy and gluten free packed with nutrition and fibre. Food that makes you poop!
I love to cook and bake for new mothers, it’s my passion. The recipes I use are for healing and rebuilding the postpartum body. Fibre is key in keeping your colon moving and detoxifying especially after receiving medication for labour pain or surgery because often these drugs will bung you up!
Morphine or Oxycodone are given to mothers for pain relief after caesarean birth these opioids poses a few problems one being chronic constipation. It’s always a good idea to take a preventative approach and keep a stool softener or laxative in the house to ease any concerns around constipation.
Along with at least 1.5 litres of water a day post caesarean there are many foods that can help relieve constipation and why not put a few together and have it taste amazing too! Ground flax seeds, cocoa powder, and black beans together can make a healthy delicious snack.
Vegan Gluten Free Black Bean Brownie Recipe:
- 1 can 425g of organic black beans rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal along with 90 ml of water mixed together
- 3 tablespoons of melted coconut oil
- 1 cup of cocoa powder (rich in magnesium)
- 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of aluminum free baking powder
- Vegan chocolate chips to sprinkle
- Preheat oven to 350
- Add everything together in a food processor you might need to add a little water to keep it from getting too thick
- Add to muffin tin and sprinkle with chocolate chips
- Bake for 20 minutes
- Poop and Enjoy!
If you are looking for a birth or postpartum Doula Kelly Maslen is available for interviews.